Tuesday, August 02, 2005

A home away from home!

I finished high school in 1998 with excellent grades. Subsequently, I was offered SIA-NOL scholarship by the government of Singapore to study in the National University of Singapore. It seemed like a perfect opportunity to gain international exposure and study in a leading university. I was thrilled and grabbed the offer.

The initial trauma of cultural shock and homesickness was inevitable. After overcoming that I started enjoying my newly found freedom, financially and otherwise. The years at the University flew past in what seemed like a jiffy. They did leave behind a treasure of experiences, memories and friends. For that reason, Singapore will always hold a special place in my heart.

Singapore is, in many ways, a perfect city. It boasts of almost zero crime rate, excellent public services/systems, and cleanliness among many other attractive traits. But to me it’s a lot more than what a tourist sees and appreciates. During my stay of seven years in Singapore I have had the chance to learn and experience many things that might not have been possible had I stayed in India.

Despite the seemingly perfect life I have led here in Singapore, I long to bid goodbye to it and go back home. When I do go back, after finishing my job responsibilities, I will remember this place as the perfect home away from home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home