Thursday, January 19, 2006

Baba Ramdev

I just got back from a nice short vacation in India. The trip was really refreshing. This time when I went back, I was really intrigued my the number of news channels and the amount of news that they produce. So impressed was I, that I decided to write about my favourite news piece.

During my stay, the controversy involoving Vrinda Karat and Baba Ramdev was in full-swing. This was the most interesting and also my favorite news piece. Vrinda Karat accused Baba Ramdev of using human skull in his ayurvedic medicines. Baba Ramdev is pioneering the cause of taking Ayurveda and Yoga to every Indian household. He has also undertaken several research projects to investigate whether certain diseases can be cured solely by using Yoga and Ayurveda. He has a huge fan following and hence this accusation became a national news in no time and was shown on each of the 13 or so news channels. More interesting were the discussions by the "experts", polls, analysis of consequences if the accusation was true so on and so forth. The lab tests by a pharmaceutical laboratory put an end to this saga by declaring that the accusation was false. After this incidence Vrinda Karat, who is a politician belonging to communist party, took all the beating. A poll conducted by one of these news channels showed that 98% of the people supported Baba Ramdev .

This was my first introduction to Baba Ramdev. And I have to admit I am impressed by the passion and drive with which he has set out to achieve his goals. Baba preaches simple and easy to follow methods of staying fit. For example, he advises people (especially kids) to stay away from aerated drinks and fast food, which are the latest fad in India. He advices them to eat fruits and vegetables instead. His phrase "Coca Cola means Toilet Cleaner" was not liked very much by Pepsi or Coca Cola. He basically, teaches healthy living. He claims that if everyone in the world lived life his way, 98% of the diseases will be viped out. It is indeed a noble cause that he has set out for.

Due to his people skills, he is also a crowd puller. He holds camps at 4.00 am in the morning, the entry fees to which is Rs 500. Yet, thousands of people attend his camps everyday. I don't think even a tenth of these people will turn up to listen to the most successful of politicians or businessmen. Furthermore, he uses the money he earns for a number of charitable causes. I guess these are the reasons why he is liked so much by millions of people all across India.

Good luck to Baba Ramdev for his pursuits.

6 Comments:

At 2:20 AM, Blogger Nitin said...

Interesting, Nidhi, about Baba Ramdev. I haven't heard of him before. What part of India, does he pursue, what he does ? It is absolutely true about giving up on aerated drinks. I try to avoid as much as I can too. But fast food is a little too yummy, to go under my skin at the moment. What part of India are you from ?

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Nitin said...

Life is funny Nidhi, ... just read about baba Ramdev on your post the other day, and this morning, when I woke up in my hotel room, in Dubai, and turned on the television, there were Hindi channels playing. One of them was showing Baba Ramdev's pravachan. Quite interesting ... the crowd gathered to listen to him was unimaginable. I did goto the website. I must admit, I hadnt heard about Madhushala before, but the quotes were really nice, just like you mentioned.

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Anchal said...

my uncle and aunty are also firm believer of baba ram dev

they even got the CD that Baba Ramdev had it recorded with him and his 3 students doing yoga with him...

some of the exercises are mind blowing the way he does it...

 
At 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi,this is the first time iam writing on a blog,since the topic is yoga,i decided to share my experience too.there is a less publicised but a truly beautiful place in coimbatore,india.its called isha yoga centre.I visited it twice in past two years.they not only do great yoga programs at minimal costs which truly transform your life,but also they are working for environment,education,rural india,in prisons,medical,sports,arts & crafts,....and all this work is done by a group of people who work voluntarily full time.this scenically beautiful place is imbued with beautiful people too.maybe you should check the website at www.ishafoundation.org..& having done that you will find that the actual work happening there is much more vast and deeper.my life is richer today having experienced the generosity of these wonderful people who work tirelessley without taking anything for themselves.i hope my having shared my experience mite add to your lives too someday sometime if you come across this place or these people.i dont know what to say except that i am grateful that life is so beautifully naughty funny happy and has given me so much to grin about

 
At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting thoughts nidhi..

this thread on yoga forum is interesting

 
At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear All

It was so funny reading about Baba Ramdev. I am taking his camp in washington D.C. and pretty much impressed with all yoga pranayam exercises he is teaching. He indeed is a crowd puller. But one has to always remember that we got this pranayam in inheritence from our saints and sages in india. He is a noble cause to promote our heritage. Even if he has cured few people he has done a good job. so we should practice and do whatever we can to follow some of the techniques of pranayam. But should always do our research before doing it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home